Saturday, August 27, 2016

1/7-1/17: Arizona

Our first stop back on the road was to visit our dear friend in Arizona. It had been our first stop at the very beginning of the trip, so it felt fitting to be the first stop heading out again after the holiday celebrations. Our time was full of joy and grief.

I was grateful to be in a place that I could continue to process the loss of my grandpa. There were times of tears and many times of sharing stories. We even extended the trip two extra nights because I did not yet feel ready to leave the safety of a friend's house to stay with a stranger, just one month after the loss of someone so dear to me. I'll forever remember how wonderful it was to be able to be free to grieve how I needed to.

Alyssa and I both enjoyed being able to become a part of our friend's family for the time that we were there. It truly had become like another home to us. It was a time of joy. In the midst of playing games and enjoying delicious meals, we continued to plan out our trip. We knew that this was the final section of our travels...and that was bittersweet. Yet we knew that at the end of it, we would be ready to settle down into home, a term that became so fluid while traveling.

Four of these nights we were actually traveling with our friend and checking off another state! But that will be a separate post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment