Sunday, August 28, 2016

11/18-11/20: Oregon

NOTE: this post is out of order! I somehow forgot to publish it when I was doing this section of the trip!!

When writing about our trip from Idaho to Washington, I forgot to mention our brief stop in Oregon to see the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center! So I will mention it now since it was technically in Oregon. ;) Just like the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, this place was amazing. I felt like for the first time, even after having studying it multiple times during my school years, I understood why people left to go west and just how much the journey cost them. Losing children, giving up supplies, facing dangers all struck an emotional chord for me for the first time. Hearing the auditory re-enactment of a mother weeping over her child made an impression that I'll take with me forever when I think of the Oregon Trail. Of course they were heart broken and weary. Yet they also felt trapped at home by the poor incomes and laws around them. They wanted more space and more freedom, and they were willing to sacrifice everything in order to find it. Sadly many of them didn't realize just how much they'd lose or how difficult their lives would be, even AFTER reaching their final destination. We also had an enlightening conversation with a park ranger. Then it began to snow! So we headed out to not get stuck in it. :)




Now on to our "main" time in Oregon following the week in Washington. Alyssa's cousins were amazing and opened their home to us for a couple nights last minute after our original plans fell through. They lived in the perfect location to see what we wanted to see. God was watching out for us once again.

We walked along Canon Beach. Although it was chilly, we were able to see beautiful views and capture some photos! I'd been before with my family, so it was fun to share it with Alyssa. We also were able to explore the cute town of Seaside. There were an abundance of taffy shops. Naturally we bought some. ;)



For our National Parks stop, we toured Fort Clatsop where we wandered around the reconstruction of the fort where Lewis and Clark weathered their Pacific Ocean winter. I can completely understand why the winter they spent there was miserable, especially for those who were not the captains! The quarters were cramped and only a few places had fireplaces. They survived because of the native people who lived in the area. Although brief, it was a worthwhile stop.




Another morning we met my mom's cousin for breakfast. We were embarrassingly late because of time miscalculations, but still enjoyed our time together. :)

More memories; another state. On to our Thanksgiving celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment