Friday, January 1, 2016

10/1-10/4: Connecticut

Connecticut is my (Nicole's) birthplace. It was special to go back and show Alyssa around my "home"state. I definitely walked down memory lane during this section of the trip!

However, first, we drove across the state from where we were staying to visit the town of Mystic. Mystic is a seaport town that offers beautiful landscapes. Sadly most of our time was spent eating lunch at a less-than-ideal restaurant with poor service... Yet we still found time to walk to a lighthouse and drive down to a beautiful Catholic retreat center! I could have spent hours at the retreat center! It was right on the water and had a gorgeous chapel. We spent most of our time sitting on the rocks by the ocean, enjoying the view. It was an oasis.





We then spent the night with family from my dad's side who I had met previously during their visits to Seattle. It was wonderful to catch up! They were such gracious hosts. 

The next day we went to my hometown of Simsbury. We drove by both of my childhood houses that I lived in before the age of 8 as well as stopping by where my grandparents used to live. On our walk back from my grandparents house to the car we talked to a woman who was outside with her dog. I shared that this was my neighborhood for a few years as a child; she thought that was really special.

For lunch we stopped by my favorite bagel shop, Brookside Bagels! They are still in business--and as amazing as ever!!!


After lunch we bought mini pumpkins and headed to the Simsbury cemetery to pay respects to some of my family members who had gone me. <3 I had wanted to return here for many years. I'm grateful that this trip provided the opportunity for me to do so.


The next day we technically spent in Massachusetts, but it was right over the border and is something I did as a child while living in Connecticut. It was another thing that I have dreamed of returning to for years and finally had the chance!
We went to a huge fair called the Big E!! All of the New England states participate. :) We had a blast! Our first stop (because we were walking right past it!) was to admire the butter statue! This is a Big E tradition.


The clydsdales were right inside the first building. These horses were the highlight for me as a child, so we made sure to take time and admire them. Later in the day we returned to see them prepared for the parade! It was really cool to watch them braiding their mane and tail! The harnesses are huge that they put around their backs. Yet the horses act as if they are carrying nothing. They are so powerful and majestic. :D They are still a highlight for me.






Sadly the chicks hatching exhibit wasn't there like it was when I was a kid. I was super disappointed. 

At the fair each New England state has their own building where there is shopping and food options. In the Rhode Island building we bought my favorite food at the entire fair: clam fritters!! Mmmmm. At another building we bought maple cotton candy...which proceeded to last us for days. ;) At each building we stopped at the information desks to gather information for the rest of our New England stops. It was a time well spent!




The pig races made us laugh. We enjoyed watching the tiny pigs race around the track! SO ADORABLE.


We watched a juniors draft horse competition as well :) the kids did an amazing job driving the carts around. I enjoyed eating cotton candy while watching, just as I did when I was a child!



Our day ended by watching the parade, complete with the Clydesdales. We sat near a couple from Massachusetts and had a nice conversation while waiting for the parade to start. Biggee drove by in his car; there were different horses and other acts. It was a fun way to end the time at the fair. :)




Sunday we went to church at Valley Community Baptist Church where I attended as a child. I was able to briefly meet up with one of my mom's friend and update her a little bit on the trip. I absolutely loved the church service!! The pastor still remembered who I was even though we left the area when I was 7! So special. 



After church we met up with my mom's friend/my preschool teacher and her husband for lunch at Panera Bread. We all had a delightful conversation! 

Thus concluded an incredible time in my home state. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment