Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Crazy Weekend!

The weekend of the garage sale was crazy. I knew it would be hard work, but it far exceeded my expectations on just how much effort it would take.

To start off with I was sick. I've been struggling with various health issues for the past three weeks. By Friday I was exhausted...and ended up in urgent care for a migraine. After the doctor gave me some medicine to at least function, Alyssa and I continued the prep for the garage sale that had been going on all week. (She liked to joke that it looked like we had become horders because everything was piled all over the apartment!) We lugged boxes down the stairs to the car then drove our friend's house where we were having the garage sale. Then we had to unload everything. Alyssa and my friend had an interesting experience with picking up the tables too. Let's just say it took a lot of rope to get them to her house. We were up until midnight.

Our alarms went off at 4:30am the next morning. I felt horrible, so I rested while Alyssa carried the rest of the stuff to the car. I took the first load over while Alyssa went to put up the signs! It was a crazy morning, but the companionship of friends made it worth it!

The morning people didn't buy much. And by 12:30pm we were convinced that nobody else would come, but we decided to pray and wait. We prayed that certain items would be bought and that God would bring people. Less than an hour later we had two customers who both bought quite a few items! People kept trickling in. The items we had prayed to bought disappeared one by one...

Again it slowed down, so we went inside the house to eat some food. Then we decided to it was time to clean up. We walked outside to find people there! And more of the prayed for items disappeared...

We were amazed...and waited a bit. Nobody came, so I started carrying boxes of stuff to the car. One of my friend's neighbors pulled up. She asked how it went. I told her it went pretty well, and to my great surprise, she made a bee-line to the table! What?! As it turned out, she had been eyeing the baseball gear we had. After some browsing, she ended up buying most of the baseball stuff, a puzzle, and a set of drawers!

After that we did pack up--and I went home to rest!!

ALL of the items we prayed for plus some we hadn't were sold! And we made $90. :) Not a bad days work!

The moral of the story: God provides even when the circumstances are less than ideal.

 I ended up being quite sick for a few more days. Yet I had enough energy for the garage sale. The sales didn't pour in at the start, but by the end our prayers had been answered. Not to mention we had AMAZING support from the two people who generously donated as well as from the friend who opened her house for an entire day. I call this a success!










No comments:

Post a Comment