Saturday, May 7, 2016

10/29-11/2: Heading West Again: Wisconsin

After our time in West Virginia, we began our trek west again. We wanted to be with our families for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I (Nicole) really wanted to celebrate my birthday with my family since usually I live too far away. So our deadline was November 16, but we wanted to take our time since by this point we were absolutely exhausted from our travels!

On our way back across the states, we had the opportunity to stay with friends we had met along the way! Since we don't know when we will return to Ohio or Nebraska or Iowa, the opportunity to see people for a second time was treasured. We made new memories, rested, caught up on admin work for the trip, and overall enjoyed a slower pace. Spending two nights at each place also allowed us to have  a rest day between each long driving day! Sightseeing and/or serving every day had left us worn out, so we greatly needed this time to connect with people again and just be us.

We took very few pictures on our trek back across because we spent most of our time either in Starbucks or hanging out in someone's home! There were a few special stops along the way: Wisconsin, Colorado, and Utah. I will dedicate a post to each of these stops. :)

And so...this is why Idaho was the first new state we checked off after West Virginia!!! ;)

------------

We had planned to stop by my dear friend's house in Wisconsin after our time in Michigan, but due to some unforeseen circumstances at her house, we decided to reschedule for our trek back. I'm so thankful we did because it was the best Halloween weekend we have ever had!


I had the opportunity to walk my oldest godson (A) to school, not once but twice. He asked me to do it both times with the cutest smile. I was also invited to a Halloween school dance (my first ever!...even if it was for a kindergartener ;) ). I motivated A to clean up the play room! I tried to win my way into my youngest godson (M)'s heart; Alyssa succeeded way beyond me on this one. For the first time since leaving on the trip, we forgot that our time there was part of something larger. It simply felt like we were spending time with friends. It was amazing!

One of the highlights was carving pumpkins! I carved a pumpkin with the directions of A. We even managed to give him hair. ;) Alyssa created pumpkin masterpieces, including Minnie Mouse, Mickey Mouse, and Darth Vader. A sat outside with Alyssa watching the pumpkins glow. He loved it so much that he insisted that we come back next year. If only we could make that happen...








We caught up on years worth of stories that had gotten forgotten during the times of long distance. We laughed over the actions of the pets. We bubbled over Disney.

I wish I could put into words just how much this weekend with this precious family meant to us (and to them!). It is hard to even describe how incredible this time felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment