Thursday, July 23, 2015

DIPG: Four Letters of Heartbreak


Written on June 23, 2015 (I've worn pink almost daily since her service on July 12th in her honor)

This week I have experienced a series of heart breaks that will forever impact me. I decided that I am going to dedicated a series of posts to the idea of not being silent. I think one long post would be too much so here is the first installment.  

I cannot stay silent...children are dying of cancer. My sweet friend's daughter stepped into Heaven because of a cancer called DIPG. My heart utterly breaks for them. I am devastated by the rapid progression of the disease. Yet I know that sweet Maggie has stepped into eternity with God. Her face lit up when she heard the word Heaven. She is healed now. 

Here is my note to her:

Sweet Maggie, I remember when your mom shared with me that she was pregnant with you. Although I didn't have many times with you, I loved every moment of your wonderful laugh and delight in so many things! I never dreamed you would enter Heaven before me. So here I remain here on earth, waiting for the day when I too can cuddle with Jesus, and grieve the reality that I will not get to see you again on this earth. And I know you left behind parents and siblings who loved you deeply. Don't worry, Magnolia, I will make sure I keep Paisley in my prayers especially (and mom, dad, and Percy too). I look forward to the day when I can join you in our Heavenly home, but until then enjoy your time in the presence of the King and with the other two people I love who entered just before you. <3



Maggie's family has amazing support from family and friends. Yet other family's face similar battles...and have neither family/friend support nor a faith in God. My heart cries out with a simple question: how do I reach them?! The ones who face this alone. 
My one answer to that question right now is an amazing organization called Jessie Rees Foundation or NEGU (Never Ever Give Up). They send JoyJars filled with toys to kids who are fighting cancer. They also are a central place for families who have children with cancer to find support. This is an organization and cause near to my heart. Please take a minute to check out NEGU.org. 
We don't want to face the reality that children are dying of cancer, but they are. So let's be these families' voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment